Construction on historic Fort Clinch started in 1847 by the federal government and continued during the Civil War. occupied by Confederate forces when the war begain in 1861, it was taken by federal troops one year later, following a withdrawal order by General Robert E. Lee. The garrison operation was greatly reduced in the years folloing the Civil War and eventually ceased altogether. In 1898, the fort was reactivated for several months during the Spanish-American War. Today, Fort Clinch remains in a remarkable state of preservation. A museum details its history and each day volunteers join park rangers in bringing the fort to life through first-person interpretation.