Friends of Fort Clinch State Park
Board Meeting Minutes, November 13, 2018
Members present: Don Hughes, Sandy Baker-Hinton, Jim McCannell, Amy
Wade, Caleb Wilson, Jane Malenke
Park Staff: Cody Peters, Jason Allgood, Heath Alboher
Guest: Mark Gearis; Photographer/Astronomy Event
Meeting was opened by President Hughes at 6:07 PM
Minutes: Subject to corrections, Jim moved and Amy seconded the
approval of the September 11 minutes. Approved
Membership Report: Don reported we have 167 members. About 20 members
are overdue for membership renewal. Sandra has contacted them. Don will
update the directory in December and take off individuals who are several
months overdue. Don also reported on our ‘New Annual Membership’ option for
Lifetime members. He sent letters to 44 Lifetime members. 24 responded; 18
keeping Annual Pass, 4 wanted full refund, 2 chose One Year Memberships. Don
will call those that have not responded by December 1, 2018.
Rentals: Heath reported that Ritz-Carlton will be renting the Fort in early 2019.
* Don reviewed the expenses, deposits, and bank balance on handout.
* Don reported on Park Managers/CSO Dinner. After expenses, the CSO
Contribution was $513.63.
* Don also reported on Vintage Car Show. After expenses, the $1,090.22 profit
will be used to enhance Park facilities and Programs.
Park Manager’s Report:
* Heath gave Ranger Updates. Zack Martin was hired and Heath will be
hiring two more Rangers. Ian Murray has moved on and Perry Cox is
Retiring. Frank Ofeldt, who has been a Ranger for 25 years, was recently
upgraded to a Park Service Specialist.
* Heath gave an update regarding enhancements to Plaza Park.
* Heath handed out a projected 2019 Event Schedule.
* Don went over the 2019-2020 Annual Program Plan requirement. He will meet
with Heath to discuss and then share with Board members for input and edits.
Heath discussed the recent Low Country Boil Dinner and Park Manager
District II Meeting. Emphasis was on Fundraising. Don, Amy, and Jane attended
* Jason will be doing Park Press Releases.
* Heath discussed renovation of CCC Bathroom. Renovation will include: Interior
renovation, shelter, Interpretive panels. He is applying for a $50,000 Grant
from Dept. of State. Would do a 10% Match - $5,000. Request CSO Funds of
* Holiday Party for volunteers will be Noon -Sunday, December 2 nd. Don
suggested CSO cover $500 expense. Caleb moved, Amy seconded. Approved.
* Heath and Don discussed ‘Vintage Car Show’. It was a success and we will plan
on another in September 2019. CSO Board will count ‘People’s Choice’ votes, if
the car club agrees.
* Heath discussed ‘History of a Soldier’ and the lighting/sound provided by
Eventcraft. It also will be held again in 2019.
* Caleb discussed the Astronomy Program. He will get back with Heath about a
December date. Time was set for 6-9 PM. He is looking at a Saturday date
with a Sunday ‘Cloud Delay’ back-up date. This will be a Free Event with a
* Nominating Committee. Don, Jim, and Caleb are working on putting together
a list of nominations.
* Don presented the Revised FOFC Board Directory/Park Contacts List.
* Don discussed the ‘James Cook Fund’. Due to recent Hurricanes, Don
suggested that CSO donate $1,000 to the fund. The fund assists park staff
around the state with emergency assistance. Jane moved, Jim
* January 5, 2019 - Annual meeting at Noon. CSO approved up to $500 for
refreshments. Jim moved, Amy seconded. Approved.
* Caleb discussed placing his Game Camera on trails within Park and uploading
pictures onto Website.
There being no other business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:25 PM.
Respectfully Submitted By,